Monday 12 May 2014

the beginning


1998.

In the autumn, I moved up to Secondary School. I was starting a new chapter of lifelong learning and my eagerness knew no bounds. In the classrooms where I forged new friendships, encountered new things and made new discoveries, I also unwittingly invited into my life a motley crew of germs. Coughs and colds, tummy bugs and sore throats were the waves of illness that battered my body in those first nine months in big school. I just about made it to the summer holidays by the skin of my teeth.

September came round again. We braced ourselves for the next bouts of illness that would inevitably crashed at our doorstep. We did everything we could to stave off the tide, but to no avail. I managed only six weeks. Unbeknownst to us, that was the first year of the sickness-wellness merry go round that would shape my adolescence...and ultimately my adulthood.  

No comments:

Post a Comment